Today’s students will play critical roles in helping to shape petroleum industry progress and navigate the evolving energy landscape during the transition to new sources of energy.
To support these leaders of the future, the Society of Petroleum Engineers Western Australia (SPE WA) provides annual scholarships to individuals in WA and Timor-Leste who are specialising in fields of study that will lead to professional careers in the petroleum and energy industry.
In 2023 SPE WA awarded 12 Scholarships for students enrolled in Bachelor and Master degree programs at WA Universities, and in addition, 12 Scholarships for students from Timor-Leste Universities, DIT and UNTL. The value of all 24 scholarships is at least A$2000 each.
The scholarships are co-supported by SPE WA sponsors, with the objective of recognizing, encouraging and assisting passionate energy professionals of the future.
WESTERN AUSTRALIA SCHOLARSHIPS 2024 – Now Open – Applications Due by 30th November 2023:
IMPORTANT: This section outlines the application process for WA students only. Timor-Leste students, please navigate to the Timor-Leste SPE page for your application instructions – here.
Entries will be judged, and winners will be announced in Q1 2024. Awards will be presented in person at the SPE WA technical meeting in Perth shortly after winners are announced.
All WA scholarship applications are due by 30 November 2023.
Eligibility Criteria for WA Students:
- Students must be current SPE Student Members. Free SPE student membership is available here
- Students must be living in WA and enrolled at a WA University during 2024 in undergraduate or postgraduate (Master) programs that may lead to a career in the energy (including petroleum) sector.
- Students who graduate before 1 November 2024 are not permitted to apply.
- Students who have previously received an SPE WA scholarship are ineligible to apply again.
WA Student Application:
In your application, you will need to provide:
- A short cover note/letter summarising the following:
- Your details (name, postcode, email address and mobile).
- Provide evidence of your SPE membership by including a screenshot of your digital card (you can obtain this by logging into your SPE member account).
- Name of your university and current degree, including expected graduation date.
- Provide a copy of your most recent academic transcript from your university.
- A ONE-MINUTE video clip (MP4 format) of yourself addressing the 2024 WA question below and
“What does the energy transition mean to you, and how long do you think it will last?”
HINTS: Please keep your introduction in the video very short, e.g. My name is X, studying Chemical engineering in year 2 at Y University. The judges will look for originality, creativity, clarity and professionalism in your one-minute video.
- Email your cover note and academic record to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your video file here with the naming convention SURNAME_FIRST NAME_UNIVERSITY. For example, FROST_CHARLES_CURTIN-SPE-Video.mp4
Terms and Conditions for WA Students:
- Scholarship awards will be based on several factors, mainly recorded video content.
- Entries will be judged by external global industry experts and selected members of the SPE WA Board.
- The judges’ decision will be final.
- The information submitted in applications will be treated as confidential.
- Scholarship recipients agree to be featured in SPE marketing material.
- WA Students must be present in Perth to receive their award in person and have a local Australian bank account.
- By applying, you agree to these Terms and Conditions and certify that statements and information in the application are true and correct to the best of your knowledge.