As there is no professional SPE Section in Timor-Leste, SPE Western Australia has been approved to support a SPE Student Chapter in Timor-Leste which initially will have students from 4 universities in Dili offering Degrees in petroleum engineering, petroleum management and geological sciences:
- DIT – Dili Institute of Technology
- UNTL – National University of Timor Leste
- UNDIL – Universidade de Dili
- UNITAL – Universidade Oriental Timor-Lorosa’e
As of Feb’23, over 450 Timor-Leste students have joined SPE as student members, their annual fees paid by Chevron Corporation.
- The new Chapter nomination process is ongoing and assuming all is in order, we expect the Chapter to be formally approved by SPE International in March 2023
- The aim of the SPE Student Chapter is to provide much-needed guidance, financial support, and connectivity to career opportunities in Australia to the petroleum, geosciences, and energy students of Timor-Leste.
- SPE WA has also decided to award several Scholarships specifically for Timor-Leste students in 2023.
- A dedicated Timor-Leste Fund has been created in order to finance quarterly technical meetings in Dili, provide Scholarships for Timor-Leste students and contribute partially to travel costs for scholarship winners to visit Perth (which will allow them to engage with industry and universities).
- Any organisations with potential interest in contributing to this important cause please contact: Timor-Leste@spe-wa.org
THANK-YOU on behalf of the SPE WA Board of Directors.