As there is no professional SPE Section in Timor-Leste, SPE Western Australia was approved by SPE Corporate to support a SPE Student Chapter in Timor-Leste which initially will have students from 4 universities in Dili offering Degrees in petroleum engineering, petroleum management and geological sciences:
- DIT – Dili Institute of Technology
- UNTL – National University of Timor Leste
- UNDIL – Universidade de Dili
- UNITAL – Universidade Oriental Timor-Lorosa’e
As of September 2023, almost 600 Timor-Leste students have joined SPE as student members, their annual fees paid by Chevron Corporation.
- The SPE Timor-Leste Student Chapter was formally approved by SPE International in March 2023.
- A memorable formal launch ceremony took place in Dili on 9th May 2023 attended by H.E. Dr. José M. Ramos-Horta, President of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, H.E. Dr. Victor da Conceição Soares, Minister for Petroleum & Minerals, Kamel Ben-Naceur, 2022 SPE President and Neil Kavanagh, SPE Regional Director, Asia Pacific
- The aim of the SPE Student Chapter is to provide much-needed guidance, financial support, and connectivity to career opportunities in Australia to the petroleum, geosciences, and energy students of Timor-Leste.
- SPE WA awarded 12 Scholarships to Timor-Leste students in 2023 thanks to our generous sponsors.
- A dedicated Timor-Leste Fund has been created in order to finance quarterly technical meetings in Dili, provide Scholarships for Timor-Leste students and contribute partially to travel costs for scholarship winners to visit Perth (allow theming to engage with industry and universities).
- Any organisations with potential interest in contributing to this important cause please contact: Timor-Leste@spe-wa.org
THANK-YOU on behalf of the SPE WA Board of Directors.
TIMOR-LESTE SCHOLARSHIPS: The application process for 2024 scholarships will open soon.
This page will be updated prior to 1st October 2023 with confirmed details of the 2024 Scholarship process.
- Applicants must be SPE Student Members. Free SPE student membership is available here
- Additional eligibility requirements for the 2024 scholarships will be updated shortly.
Details of the application process will be updated shortly, however students will definitely be required to provide:
- A ONE MINUTE video clip(MP4 format) of yourself that addresses the following:
“What does the energy transition mean to you, and how long do you think it will last?”
Terms and Conditions
- Scholarship awards will be based on several factors, mainly recorded video content.
- Entries will be judged by external global industry experts and selected members of the SPE WA Board.
- The judges’ decision will be final.
- The information submitted in applications will be treated as confidential.
- Scholarship recipients agree to be featured in SPE marketing material.
- By submitting an application, you agree to these Terms and Conditions and certify that statements and information in the application are true and correct to the best of your knowledge.